Saccharomyces boulardii is used for treating and preventing diarrhea, including infectious types such as rotaviral diarrhea in children, diarrhea caused by gastrointestinal (GI) take-over (overgrowth) by “bad” bacteria in adults, traveler’s diarrhea, and diarrhea associated is also used to prevent and treat diarrhea caused by the use of antibiotics.
Actions of Probiotics
- Restore the balance b/w ‘Good’ and ‘bad’ bacteria in gut by secreting bactericidal proteins
- Block the attachment & invasion of epithelium by pathogens
- Improve epithelial barrier function by increasing mucus production and barrier integrity
- Plays a significant role in the prevention of traveler’s diarrhea and antibiotic-associated diarrhea
- Probiotics were identified to beneficially affect the host by improving its intestinal microbial balance, thus inhibiting pathogens and toxin producing bacteria.
Probiotics reduced the risk of travelers’ diarrhea by 8%. They also lowered the risk of diarrhea from other causes by 57% in children and 26% in adults.
Saccharomyces boulardii is possibly safe for children when taken by mouth appropriately. However, diarrhea in children should be evaluated by a healthcare professional before using Saccharomyces boulardii.